UPDATE: The Harbours Apartments will collect clothes, shoes and anything else individuals would like to donate in the complex's clubhouse over the Labor Day weekend. The clubhouse is located at 44565 Bayview Ave, Clinton Township - off Hall Road and Heydenreich.
Thick black smoke could be seen billowing from Hall Road's the Harbours Apartments in Clinton Township Friday morning as firefighters worked to extinguish a massive blaze that caused the roof on part of the apartment complex to collapse.
The fire, which started in apartment complex No. 16 just before 10 a.m. burned for more than an hour as up to three fire trucks continuously sprayed water into the burning building.
Patch.com witnessed part of the roof of the three-story apartment complex collapse as firefighters sprayed thousands of gallons of water into the burning. Fire and emergency personnel from Chesterfield, Mount Clemens, Harrison Township two other departments assisted the Clinton Township fire department at the scene.
Clinton Township officers on scene said they were not aware of anyone needing to be rescued from the building and firefighters were not seen entering the building as they battled the fire.
No injuries have been reported at this time. Witnesses told Patch.com that nobody was home in the apartment that caught fire.
Marty Horton, who lives in the apartment complex that is burning – just two apartments from where the fire started - told Patch.com he was cooking breakfast when he smelled smoke.
“The smell got stronger so I stepped out onto the balcony and looked to the right and there I saw smoke and fire coming out of the dryer vent and then I called 911,” he said.
Horton said he called the Harbours managers and they were able to knock on all the doors in the complex and make sure everyone got out safely.
No smoke or fire alarms inside the building sounded, according to Horton and neighbor Nicole Mustazza, who was in a unit inside the burning apartment building with her young children, ages 3 and 5.
Nicole's husband Marco Mustazza told Patch.com he believes his family's apartment is a total loss.
The Mustazza's said they are at least hoping to salvage some of their 5-year-old's clothes and school supplies so he can start his first day of school next week.
Dozens of residents stood beyond the fire line and watched as their homes and their neighbors' homes went up in flames. By noon, firefighters had put most of the flames out, although they had not yet entered the building.
Anyone with photos of the fire can upload them to this article.
Stay with Patch.com for updated information on this developing story.